Thursday, February 22, 2018

Thing 06: Curation Tools

Embarrassing Secret:  I had no idea how to use Pinterest before today.

I feel like lots of moms and teachers use Pinterest.  I had no idea that there were so many educational resources on there, however!  I knew that Pinterest had lots of great ideas for crafts and handmade goodies, but not being much of a crafter, I suppose I never really knew what purpose it could have for me.  When I began exploring, I quickly realized how wrong I was.  There were poster-like resource, handout-like resources and even general resource-like resources!  Very quickly I began saving items and realized that I was going to need more than a "Spanish Board".  I already have three boards going:
1)  Spanish Verbs
2) Spanish Language
3) Spanish Culture

And of course, as is the case with any technology, there are some things that I struggle with.  I wish there were a few more features included on Pinterest.  I wish there were a way to see less of certain "Pinners".  Is that even a word?  There are some folks on Pinterest who are posting items with grammar mistakes, missing accents, etc.  I would love to "dislike" those Pinners in order to see less of them as I am searching.  I also wish that Pinterest had a filter.  So say I wanted to locate the perfect worksheet for the verb tener. I wish I could filter by cost, then by popularity or grade level, etc.  Because there are SO many resources on her, it would be faster and easier if I could do those things. 

All things considered, I feel like I have a great new resource under my belt that I can go to before I re-create the wheel or try to hunt down various documents in old folders and flashdrives.  Pinterest gets a thumbs up from me!

1 comment:

  1. Great idea to have more targeted searching on pinterest. Wonder if anyone has created a way to do that! You can focus what you see a bit by just following the boards you're interested in, rather than everything a particular pinner posts. Still, there's so much on pinterest - it's amazing and overwhelming! Glad you had a chance to dig in to it!

    ReplyDelete