Thursday, April 20, 2017

Thing 04: Digital Storytelling

Timelines-Useful for every content area!  I struggled at first to find a Timeline Tool that was useful and appropriate for Spanish.  First I tried Timeline JS which was COMPLETELY user UNfriendly.  I felt like I needed a PhD in computer programming to figure that one out.  There were fields and links and Sources and lots and lot of crying.  Okay, well maybe I didn't actually cry, but I did consider it.

After that experience, I went on the the Teachnology Timeline generator that claims "No frills!"  It delivered on its promise.  It was extremely easy to use, but when I tried to use Spanish accents and symbols, it was unable to produce them and it ended up looking like an (even more than usual) foreign language.  Not to mention I couldn't figure out how to add photos and videos.  It was THAT low on the frill totem pole.  BOOOOORING!

Finally, I found my timeline soul mate.  ReadWriteThink.Org had a timeline that was both easy to use in general, but also had the ability to insert the symbols and photos that I desired,  In Spanish II, we cover daily routines (waking up, showering, brushing teeth, etc.) and we also cover past tenses (I fell, I broke my ankle, I went to the hospital, etc.).  Timelines are a simple, efficient way for students to show that they understand both the vocabulary and the grammar.  High five for this tool!

(My husband teaches social studies, and I couldn't help but brag and show him how useful this could be for him, too!)

2 comments:

  1. Hooray! You found one that worked for you. That's terrific. Glad to hear you did a bit of bragging to your husband too. :)

    ReplyDelete